Friday, March 13, 2015

Photographs

It's amazing how they capture more than just an image of a point in time, but also a memory.
The use of just one sense--sight--revives our other senses.
When we SEE a photo, we can remember smells, sounds, feelings.

I spent the entire afternoon going through old photos, and it was a mix of painful and joyful nostalgia.
There was no doubt that I'd come across photos of my dad.
Literally hundreds of them, it turns out.
I prepared myself as much as you can prepare yourself for something like that… but it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Just seeing his face, his smile… so full of life.
So ALIVE.
But he's not anymore.
He's gone.
He should still be here.
He didn't deserve to lose his life at 49.
He was the most amazing man on this planet, and I miss him more than I could ever put into words.

There is no other way to put it.